The Bannerman Castle


The Bannerman Castle stands on the Pollepel island in the Hudson River, the island is also known under the name "Bannerman Iceland". Pollepel Iceland is located about 80 kilometers north of New York City and about 300 meters from the eastern bank of the Hudson River and is approximately 26,000 square meters. Bannerman Castle is an abandoned military surplus stock. on one side of the palace, are the words "Bannerman Iceland Arsenal". Francis Bannerman VI businessman. had bought the island in 1900 and also the Bannerman Castle built it in 1901. Pollepel, the name of the island is Dutch and means "pan". Other e.g. the Bannerman Castle confidence inspired organization say that the name came from a folk tale in which a young girl called Polly be Pell stranded on the island. The island was discovered on the first trip from New York by the Hudson River from early Dutch settlers. During the Revolutionary War Patriots tried by standing protocols with tilting iron points to prevent the British fleet upriver drove between the island and Plum Point across the river. The caissons are still on the bottom of the river. Rumor George Washington wanted to later use the island as a military prison, but there was no evidence to suggest that at some point a prison was built there was. Francis Bannerman was born in 1851 in Scotland and moved in 1854 with his parents to the United States. 1858 continues to Brooklyn and there opened a shop for Military Surplus near the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Francis Bannerman bought the island as a storage space for his adolescent business. His storerooms in New York were not large and safe enough for up to 30 million surplus ammunition cartridges. In 1901 he began an arsenal on the island to build, he designed the building itself and the designers had to interpret these designs as their own. Most of the buildings were taken for the army surplus. Bannerman built on a smaller scale in the vicinity of the main structure of another castle as a residence, which was often decorated with items from his collection surplus. The castle was used as a giant advertisement for his business and is clearly visible from the shore of the river. The construction has stopped in 1918 to Bannerman's death. 1920, 200 tons of shells and powder explodes due to chemical reactions and zerstörrten a part of the complex. The sale of weapons Bannerman fell during the early 20th century when the civilians due to the state and its federal legislation. 1950 was the ferry "Pollepel" under during a storm. 1967 New York State bought the island and the building and after all military weapons were removed in 1968 there were trips to the island. However, in 1969 a fire zerstörrte the roofs and floors of the arsenal, then the island was closed to the public. Today, the castle of the New York State Office of Parks, and most of the castle belongs is in ruins. All the internal floors and non-load bearing walls have fallen victim to the flames, as the only stand alone the exterior walls. The island and thus the castle became the victim of vandalism ince, decay and neglect. Old bulkheads and dams are lying submerged at high tide become a navigational hazard because they are seen only at low tide rise out of the water. Small tours were made possible by the Bannerman Castle Trust Organization 2008. But 2009 is part of the castle collapsed, it is estimated that 30-40% have fallen apart of the front wall and about 50% of the east wall. Reported it had drivers who had the collapse of the Metro North Railroad, which runs along the edge of the Hudson River seen.
The photo has been issued with the {{GFDL-1.2}} GNU Free Documentation License
Google+ Forum für lebendige Geschichte: Ausgewählte Webseite auf

Nach oben