Past the barracks

The forgotten "Queen Carola barracks" in Grimma



The first mentioned in the 12th century Grimma district in the district of Leipzig, located 25 kilometers southeast of the fair city Leipzig and is, by numerous incorporations in the years 2011 and 2012 (to Grimma count 64 districts) and a total of 28,153 inhabitants, the largest in area and most populous municipality of the district of Leipzig, making it the fourth largest city in Saxony. In 1895 the construction of the "Queen Carola barracks" began in Grimma. With accommodation buildings, officer's casino, military hospital, various stable buildings, residential buildings for the soldiers and guard buildings stationed there, it was the seat of the 2nd Royal Saxon Hussar Regiment No. 19, which belonged to the cityscape and history Grimma for 100 years. Until the completion of the barracks, the soldiers and their horses were accommodated by the citizens of the city of Grimma, mostly in backyards, where in the smallest of the quarters a maximum of two soldiers could be found and in the largest up to 40 hussars with their horses. In 1896, the 1st barracks could be occupied by the Hussars. In 1903, the 2nd barracks were ceremoniously opened and in 1915, the third barracks were moved into. The openings of the barracks were celebrated as important events, such as the parade of the annual birthday of the Saxon King, with the inhabitants of Grimma. After all, the stationing of the 1,000-strong hussar regiment had a positive effect on the income and order situation of the citizens of Grimma. Shoemakers, blacksmiths, tailors, blacksmiths and others profited from regiments stationed in Grimma. The Husarenwache, staffed with four guards, was closely attached to the town hall. On 07.08.1914, at the beginning of World War I, the 2nd Royal Saxon Hussar Regiment No. 19 left the city and the barracks with 35 officers, 675 soldiers and 754 horses heading towards the French border. The Hussar regiment belonged to the XIX. Army Corps. To the remaining in the barracks 3rd Squadron, moved in 1915 the 106th Infantry Regiment with 1500 soldiers. Whereupon also the big halls of the city, among other things also the bird ball house at the Oberwerder, were used. Previously, the 3rd Rhenish Field Artillery Regiment 83 had come in 1914. Outside the barracks, No. 19 Hussar Regiment was closed to the Marne at the beginning of the battles, its task being reconnaissance, patrol, protection of the backward lions, destruction of enemy communications facilities or railroad tracks. In the summer of 1916, after the positional war at Lille, the division of the Hussars Regiment on the 24th and 40th Infantry Division and the 19th Substitute Division took place. The 1st and 2nd Squadron took part in the summer battle until November 1916 and until August 1917 at the Flanders Battle. In 1917, after the battle, the 2nd Squadron was transferred to Russia, and the 4th and 5th Squadron were assigned to the 19th Substitute Division in the summer of 1916. At the end of 1917, the 4th Squadron advanced to Livonia and then to Petrograd. Serbia and Macedonia were among other locations. In October 1917, the 5th squadron of Lorraine was transferred to Verdun, since with over 330,000 dead and wounded this front section had become synonymous with the enormous material battle of the First World War. In the summer of 1918 renewed transfer to the Reims area, where a renewed major attack was ordered by the German army command. Here, the hussars, who were traveling as reporting riders between the divisional staff and the battalions, suffered heavy losses. The 19th Division was withdrawn from the front line and stationed near Metz due to high losses around Reims and the Ailette Canal. In December 1918, the survivors of the four squadrons returned to the end of the First World War back in the hussar barracks Grimma. This year, the 107th Infantry Regiment moved to the quarters of the barracks Grimma. Since the rapid development of military technology had made the cavalry of the Hussars Regiment superfluous as a weapon class, the more than 100 years of history of the Hussars in Grimma came to an end with the end of the First World War. After the end of the war until 1929, the barracks area was occupied by French occupation troops. When these moved in 1929, the buildings were used as civilian living space until 1936 and from 1936 the barracks were again used by various troops of the Wehrmacht, whereupon the barracks were extended and a name change took place in "Riemann barracks". In the years of World War II the terrain of the barracks was used by the GSSD. After World War II, it became the location of the 20th Guards Motorized Rifle Division from 1956 until 1957, and until 1962 it was once again used as a civilian living space. The Bundeswehr used from 1962 on the site as a site management. In the years 1973 to 1974 parts of the barracks area were demolished and converted into a settlement area. In 1993, the land was handed over to the German administration and in 1995, through a complex renovation of the former "Queen Carola barracks" the tax office Grimma. The fact that the barracks area is one of Saxony's 100 most important contaminated sites due to a former detoxification station is simply beyond reproach because of the toxic substances in the soil and the terrain along the waterway route. More barracks buildings were demolished in 2010 and the in 2013 collapse-prone listed historic hussar barracks (in 2013 collapsed the roof) was extensively renovated as an extension (merger of tax offices Borna and Grimma) in 2014 for over 10 million euros. In 2015, the renovation was completed. To this day, there are still some witnesses of the former hussar barracks. Old stables and several other former barracks buildings shine in the light of the past stories of the once so powerful "Royal Saxon Hussar Regiment No. 19"

Google+ Forum für lebendige Geschichte: Ausgewählte Webseite auf

Nach oben